This weeks topic for 2013 blogging journal is ~ what is my most prized family memento and why? This is very easy because I have many family mementos.
- A Dutch Lady Cookie jar – My grandparents had this cookie jar for as long as I can remember. Every time Vickie and I went to our grandpa & grandma’s house we would get cookies out of this cookie jar. Sometimes they would be homemade chocolate chip cookies, and sometimes they would be store-bought cookies.
- A Dried Flower Framed Picture – this was a Mother’s Day gift from my girls. They made it all by themselves. They cut and sort of dried flowers and then put them into a large picture frame with “Happy Mother’s Day” on the bottom.
- Family Photos – As my grandma aged, and we went to visit she would always ask – what do you want when I die – PHOTOS!!! I said every time she asked, and we would go through photos and I would take a few more home each time. I don’t know what happened to all the photos she had when she passed, but I am sure glad I took what I could when she was alive!
- My grandma’s infant cereal bowl – My grandma left her infant cereal bowl to Jennifer, but Jennifer felt that as she moved a few times, the cereal bowl would be safer at my house. So for now I am keeping it for her. That cereal bowl is about 90 years old by now.
- My grandma left a set of drinking glasses to Tiffany. She received them for her 25th wedding anniversary. Yes, I have these also for safe keeping.
- John was pretty little when grandma was put into an assisted living facility so he didn’t get to spend too much time with his great grandma, but I did pick out a gravy bowl for him that was my great grandma’s. I don’t remember too much about her, but it is nice to have a piece of her favorite things.
I told you this was going to be a long post, and I wasn’t kidding. =) Here is a few more things that are my prized family mementos. When my mother passed almost 3 years ago I received a few more prized mementos. Here is a few of them.
- A silver wedding band that she wore after her divorce from my real dad, and my adopted dad. At that time it wasn’t proper for a single mother with two small children.
- My mother left me a diamond & sapphire ring, which I wear every day.
- My mother left Vickie and I our grandma’s wedding ring. I kept the wedding band and Vickie has the engagement ring. My half of my grandmas ring is right between my wedding band and engagement ring.
- When Mark and I were married, Mark’s mother gave him his grandmother’s wedding band to give to me when we got married, which at the time was about 100 years old. What a lucky girl I am!
I would love to hear about some of your favorite family mementos, so please post comments and / or photos here.
Have a great day.
Nancie, Haley d’Pug & Bear